Summer's in the air, can you feel it? We have been enjoying the warm weather by busting out the sprinklers and swimming suits. If you're looking to celebrate the heat away from home, here is a list of events happening in May that you might just want to check out! ~ Fabulously Free Utah.
1. The 8th annual Live Green Festival kicks off Saturday, May 5 at Liberty Square in Salt Lake. Presented by ebay's Green Team, it will be full of great ideas to live green, not to mention the children's area and eco-carnival games. So, go get a better education on saving the planet and have a blast doing it! Opens at 10:00am and runs until 6:00
2. If you are in Utah County you might want to drop by for the Grand Opening of the Utah Valley Convention Center on Saturday, May 12 from 10:00 to 4:00. A day of activities for the family, along with live entertainments, exhibit booths, and my favorite, free food!
3. Just because library story times have closed up for the summer, that doesn't mean everything has. Most libraries continue other programs through the summer, like movies for teens, Great Reads for Girls and Monday night family activities. For Salt Lake County Libraries, check out the SLCoLibrary Website for info on program running at your nearest library.
4. Make it a point to get up to Ogden for the Hill Air Force Base Open House and Air Show. Saturday May 26 and Sunday May 27, check out displays of planes and helicopters up close. Make sure to bring blankets to sit on and an umbrella to keep the sun off, and really don't forget the earplugs for the kids. Plan on spending the day and bring a lunch or purchase from one of the many vendors.
5. May marks the beginning of the Gallivan Lunch Bunch Concert Series. Every weekday at noon, come listen to a variety of performers. And every once in a while they will feature story tellers, which is really a treat. At only an hour long it's a fun way to take a picnic. All concerts are held at Gallivan Plaza.
6. Every month,on the first Wednesday and third Saturday, the Utah Museum of Fine Arts opens their doors for free. So, if you're looking to weave a little culture into your children's experiences or if you're looking for a cheap date, head up to Salt Lake and check it out.
7. The Provo Library holds a Children's book Festival every year, and this year it will be Saturday May 12 from 12:00 to 4:00 pm. Come and meet authors and participate in free crafts, games and puppet shows. A great way to spend an afternoon.
8. If you have sci-fi, star lover at your house, be sure to check out the Astro-Fest at BYU on May 19 from 10:00 to 4:00. Held at the Eyring Science Center, come and watch rocket launches, physics demos, astronomy crafts and hands on activities for all ages.
9. You know those tall tales your kids love to tell? Why not check out the Youth Tall Tale Contest at the Gale Center in South Jordan. And if you don't have a storyteller at your house, just come and listen! There are sure to be some whoppers. The contest will be held Tuesday, May 29 from 6:00 to 7:00.
10. And hey, with all the warm weather, the snow is bound to be melting up in the mountains! Go on a hike! Our favorites are Silver Lake, (which might not be thawed, just yet), Donut Falls, Bridal Veil Falls and the Jordan River Parkway.
For a more complete list and even more ideas on how to stay busy this month, be sure to stop by Fabulously Free Utah. And get out and have fun!