In surveying the contents of my pantry & fridge earlier this week, I decided to make lasagna! Why not? Might as well embrace the cool weather! Not only that, but the sales and double coupon deals I've been getting the past few weeks at Albertson's allowed me to make some pretty inexpensive lasagna!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 2-3 TBSP sugar
- 2 cans diced tomatoes, 14.5 oz (undrained)
- 1 can tomato paste, 6 oz
- 15 uncooked lasagna noodles (not even an entire box)
- 1 container cottage cheese, 15 oz (2 cups)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (8 ounces)
1. Cook sausage, onion and garlic in 10-inch skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sausage is no longer pink; drain.
2. Stir in 2 tablespoons of the parsley, the basil, sugar, tomatoes and tomato sauce. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally; reduce heat to low. Simmer uncovered about 45 minutes or until slightly thickened.
3. Heat oven to 350ºF. Cook and drain noodles as directed on package.
4. Mix cottage cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, remaining 1 tablespoon parsley and the oregano.
5. Assemble all of your baking dishes, sauces and cheeses. I like to use foil dishes for the lasagnas I freeze- be sure to re-use them when finished!
Spread 1 cup of the sauce mixture in baking dish. Top with 2-3 noodles. Spread 1 cup of the cheese mixture over noodles; spread with 1 cup of the sauce mixture. Sprinkle with 2/3 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat with 4 noodles, the remaining cheese mixture, 1 cup of the sauce mixture and 2/3 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Top with remaining noodles and sauce mixture. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. I like to sprinkle a little parsley on top too!
6. Cover and bake 30 minutes. Uncover and bake about 15 minutes longer or until hot and bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.
To freeze, spray 1 side of plastic wrap lightly to prevent sticking, then cover lasagna. Wrap entire lasagna with foil. When you're ready to eat it, there's no need to defrost, just unwrap and heat in oven about 1 hr at 350 degrees.
Here's the one we had for dinner!
I did make a loaf of homemade bread to go with it of course! See my the bread recipe I use here.
- 1 lb ground beef: .88
- mozzarella cheese: free
- cottage cheese: free
- Parmesan cheese: .50
- spices: about .65
- lasagna noodles: $1.00 (Walmart)
- 1 med onion: .20
- cans of tomatoes: .33 each
- GRAND TOTAL: $4.22
- EACH MEAL: $1.41
- PER SERVING: .35!