Here are August’s Top 10 Free Family Events in Utah, courtesy of Rachel from Fabulously Free Utah!
It’s August. The last month of summer. And for some, not even a whole month. The frantic school shopping, followed by the frantic rush to get in those last few fun activities. Here is a list to get you going and to make the last month the most memorable.
1. Clark Planetarium: Passage to Pangaea– Friday August 3 the Clark Planetarium will be premiering their newest IMAX film, and you have a chance to take your kids for free. Every child who sculpts a dinosaur and brings it to Clark Planetarium by 10:45 that morning will receive free admission to the movie.
2. August is the month of City Days. Midvale, Alpine, Salem, Lindon, Highland and Payson are all hosting their city celebrations this month. Which means, your pick of parades, park activities and fireworks shows. If you’re bored on a Saturday night, chances are that there are fireworks going off somewhere.
3. August is also the month of the farmer’s market. The valley is bursting with farmer’s markets for the next couple of months. Although the produce at the market is not free, the atmosphere and typically games and events for kids are. You never know what you’re going to find at your local market from petting zoo’s to face painting. Check out markets in South Jordan, Millcreek, Gardner Village, Downtown Salt Lake, Provo, Thanksgiving Point, and Park City and more.
4. Cool Air Concert Series – If you’re looking for a fun way to beat the heat, be sure to check out Snowbird’s Cool Air Concert Series on their plaza deck. The last two concerts of the series will be held August 4 and August 11, each beginning at 6:00. Bring a picnic dinner, some chairs and a blanket and enjoy the local music.
5. South Jordan International Days: With the Olympics coming up, this is a great time to teach your kids about cultures from around the world. Be sure to check out South Jordan’s International Days, August 14-18. You can attend the Opening Spectacular, or one of the country spotlight shows, featuring Costa Rica and Siberia. For younger kids, costumed dancers and musicians from around the world will be at the South Jordan Library August 17 at 11:00 and 1:30.
6. Kite Festival: There are few things more mesmerizing than dozens of kites flying through the air. Which is why I will be at Daybreak’s Kite Festival at SoDa Row on August 18. There will be kite demonstrations, exhibitions and activities such as face painting, crafts and games as well as performances by local ethnic groups. Kids can show off their kite in the Kids Kite Parade.
7. Ferragosto Italian Fair: Another great opportunity to teach your kids about other ethnicities will be at the Ferragosto Italian Street Fair, August 18. The festival celebrates the traditional Italian arts & crafts, music, dance and delicious food of the Italian communities living in the Salt Lake Valley.
8. South American Festival: Your family will be well traveled by the end of the summer, especially if you attend Bountiful’s South American Festival on August 24-25. Ten countries will be represented at the festival, so enjoy the South American foods, folklore, music, dance and share friendship with people from Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Peru, Chile, Venezuela, Uruguay, Bolivia, Paraguay and Ecuador.
9. Frontier Bank Community Concert: Another opportunity to hear some great music under the open sky is at Deer Valley Amphitheatre on August 22, from 6-8. Come hear the Detonators. bring a cooler full of snacks and dance the night away.
10. Davis County Fair: If you are a County Fair lover, the Davis County Fair is one you don’t want to miss. Pony rides, science discovery, live music and diving dogs. For my children, a day in heaven. August 15 to 18 at the Legacy Events Center. Don’t miss it!