Homemade English Muffins

040_edited-12

Update: I apologize for the inconvenience, but I’ve had to move all of my recipes to my new food website: Butter, with a side of Bread. Visit me there to see this recipe, as well as TONS of more great recipes!
It’s a cool site, I promise…
Thank you for understanding!

(Visited 8 times, 2 visits today)

21 thoughts on “Homemade English Muffins

1. Ashley says:

Made them today and was surprised they turned out so well on my first try. I think I forgot the salt though, so I'm excited to try them again and see how they taste with the salt. lol Thanks so much for the recipe!

2. Rachel says:

To make it easier, you don't have to proof instant yeast, but you do if it's active dry yeast. I've tried both, and love the instant for that very reason.

3. Sonya says:

Thanks for posting! We love English muffins, but rarely feel like spending the money on them. I never even thought of trying to make them. One question: do you use a non-stick pan? It's the only kind I have and I'm a little nervous the cornmeal and no grease might ruin the finish.

4. Anonymous says:

I tried to make these last night, but the dough was SO sticky that it was impossible to roll. I used a mixer with a dough hook attachment to mix the ingredients… should I have mixed by hand? Also where does the butter come into play? Do you melt it and add it when you add the flour, egg, etc?? help! :)

5. Utah Deal Diva says:

Anon- the dough is super sticky after you mix it {butter is mixed in along with everything else} but it becomes a lot more manageable after it rises. I use the dough hook attachment to mix mine too.

Sara- never tried the overnight thing!

Sonya- I use a calphalon pan to cook them in. It's non-stick as well.

6. Chelsea says:

Hi! I made these today, and they didn't turn out right. They taste good, but they didn't rise at all. The dough did rise during the "rising" period, but once I rolled and cut the dough, it remained the same.

I double and triple checked the recipe- and I got all the ingredients/quantities right.I did do a 1/2 white 1/2 wheat flour mixture. Could that be the cause? Any thoughts? Thanks! :)

7. Jessica Williams- UDD, Butter with a Side of Bread says:

Chelsea- my first thought was that you killed your yeast, but if the dough rose during the waiting period, that's not the case. Did it rise a lot? Is your yeast old?

After you roll hem out and cut them, they do rise a bit while waiting to be cooked. Not a ton though- they don't puff up like a roll would. They also rise more when they're cooked. I wonder if your heat was too high- they cooked too fast and didn't have the chance to more gradually heat up and rise more? The heat should be very low, as it states in the recipe. I even use the lid to trap the heat/ moisture more so that they rise up more.

Any of this ringing a bell?? I hope so! I'm sorry they didn't turn out well. Maybe try again??