The only thing that beats the smell of freshly baked bread is…freshly baked cinnamon rolls! Ahhh, it’s heavenly! Don’t let the steps involved in making these baked goods scare you away- they really are quite easy and so worth it. Trust me. I like to make them during the day so that we can enjoy them after dinner for dessert…as well as with breakfast the following morning!
This recipe is a tried & true from the one and only Betty Crocker herself. Why try and out-do perfection?! You can find the original Betty Crocker Cinnamon Roll recipe here. I made only very minor changes.
Homemade Cinnamon Rolls
- 4 cups flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 packages regular or fast-acting dry yeast (4 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1 cup warm milk (I used water + powdered milk)
- 2 TBSP butter or margarine (1/2 stick), room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1-2 TBSP dough enhancer
- Cooking spray to grease bowl and pan
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine (1/2 stick), room temperature
- 1/2 cup raisins, if desired
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans, if desired
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoon butter or margarine, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
3. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, cinnamon and raisins or nuts. Set aside. Spray the bottom and sides of a large jelly roll pan with the cooking spray. Sprinkle flour lightly on a counter top or large cutting board. Punch dough to deflate it. Pull the dough away from the side of the bowl, and place it on the floured surface.