Holiday Baking: Homemade Caramels

0072

I apologize for the inconvenience, but I’ve moved all my recipes over to my food blog,
Butter with a Side of Bread.

Go here to see the caramel recipe {it’s amazing!}

Thanks for understanding!

(Visited 57 times, 4 visits today)

27 thoughts on “Holiday Baking: Homemade Caramels

1. Anonymous says:

hey janice, if i were you id use dark brown. Even when a recipe calls for light, i use dark. It adds more flavor to that way ^^

and omg…im going to make caramels…too often and get fat…they look soooooo good Q_Q

2. Anonymous says:

I make caramels a few times a year with a fairly similar recipe. I have found that freezer paper is better than wax paper to wrap them in. It's more sturdy and less likely to stick. It doesn't look as nice though. I'm glad there are other caramel enthusiasts out there!

3. Anonymous says:

Nice recipe, but an announcement…

IT IS WAY WAY WAY EASIER.

Here's how- get a can of sweetened, condensed milk. (or 4) Boil enough water to cover the cans. Boil the cans at a roaring boil for about 4 hours FULLY SEALED AND UNOPENED. Keep water above the cans or the pressure could build up. The longer you leave it the harder the resulting caramel gets. Try this once and you will never use any other recipe EVER.

check http://www.thecookinginn.com/tcirecipes/canmilkb.html

HW

4. Lindsay says:

I'm not sure sweetened, condensed milk would have anywhere near the same flavor as the above recipe.

Definitely going to make some caramels this year, sounds like a good project.

5. Marie says:

I tried this recipe tonight. It was easy and tasted awesome. I made brittle one year and was surprised at how slowly the temperature rises on the thermometer…but then spikes quickly! So the temp took longer to rise than I thought that it would, but once it hit 225 it went to 245 in minutes. I can't wait to cut it up and try some tomorrow.

6. Anonymous says:

looks like a great recipe. i tried it and followed directions to a tee, including lining the cooling pan with tinfoil (sprayed as instructed) but my caramels were not at all firm – as a matter of fact, they were like pitch – stuck fast and furious to the tinfoil. there was NO WAY those caramels were coming off that tinfoil. any ideas on what i might have done wrong?

7. Anonymous says:

number 18, there are a couple things that might have been done wrong. in my experience caramel that sticks was either not cooked to a high enough temperature (thermometers can be wrong!) or it is simply too humid. if it was sticky all the way through though, it was probably the first one.

8. Debbie says:

Yeah dont know what i did wrong too but mine stuck to the tinfoil too … a mess but still good just had to pull it a part not fun ,,,,

9. Qwisp says:

I make this recipe every year. cook them too long and they turn into a block. Too little cooking and they ooze all over. I recommend a candy thermometer , although an experienced candy maker could probably do without. Because the temperature tend to spike rather quickly you really need to know what you are doing if you don't use the thermometer.I also only use a greased 13X9 inch pan, I find it is much easier to remove the caramel than trying to mess with greased foil.

10. Anonymous says:

just put mine in the pan to cool, but i forgot to put the vanilla in them! :( and i greased the pan too much, it was very light actually but i guess even that was too much.

i'm a little impatient and i cut a small piece for myself, so yummy! i added sea salt on top, makes them much better in my opinion.

11. Jennifer :0) says:

I just made caramels for the first time yesterday. They turned out awesome! I was trying them in an automated stir pan because of the stirring required and it worked great! I even dipped some in chocolate and sprinkled sea salt on top! Yumm! If you're interested in checking out the automated stir pan, you can look it up under "Kitchenstir". Thanks for your great tutorial and beautiful pictures!